Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 02:10:46 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Decrypting PPT files

On 2014-01-30 22:38, Matt Weir wrote:
> So another question I have regarding this: Can the $oldoffice$3* hash
> format create false positives? Basically I "cracked" the hash but when I
> use it to open up the powerpoint file in question, powerpoint just hangs.
> Please note when I enter in the wrong password, Powerpoint will instead say
> that the password is invalid.

There should be no false positives and I think the sympthoms rather
indicate your (presumably newer) Office version has a bug when loading
the older format. Maybe try older Office versions or some other
alternatives like converters, viewers or even things like LibreOffice
and see if they can open it.

magnum