Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 23:43:42 +0000
From: Demian Smith <demian.smith@....de>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: "Error" in Wordlist when processed by john…

Hi everybody,

I know it's not a JtR specific question, but I thought there might be
some proficient people who could help sort this out, I had no luck on
linux forums I asked and thus hope it is okay to ask here.

I have a wordlist of 1.8 GB (Non-ISO extended-ASCII text, 165019671
lines) and just have been running john on a hash file (just anything,
really) and when checked the status, I saw these strange glyphs marked
with the question mark in the following picture:
http://s1.bild.me/bilder/260513/9415071wordlist.png

I already tried to "sed" them out, with
sed 's/\o331//g'
and with
s/\o357//g' file | sed 's/\o277//g' | sed 's/\onnn//g'275 > file2

but I can't get rid of these glyphs / lines containing them. It worked
for other glyphs I needed to get rid of, but not for these.

When I tail the file into a new txt, I can open it with nano alright and
can copy them into the bash, It might be because the lines are some
"foreign" language I do not recognize…

Is there anything I could do about that?

Thanks,
DS