Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 18:43:26 -0900
From: Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com, nro117gm@...il.com
Subject: Re: How to use Wordlists with John The Ripper

Hi, NRO117 -

I've moved the rest of this reply to be in bottom-posting format,
which is the preferred format on this list.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 6:25 PM, NRO117@...il.com <nro117gm@...il.com> wrote:
> Just in case it matters:
>
> I read the DOC, as well as the options list in the terminal after opening JTR Pro.

On behalf of the community, thank you for purchasing the Pro version!
Your support funds future work, and is greatly appreciated.

> I entered into terminal:  john --wordlist=password.lst
> (as specified in the DOC)
>
> The result returned in terminal was: Password files required, but none specified
>
> The password file listed above is there so I'm not sure why either JTR isn't recognizing it or what I'm doing wrong. Hence my previous messages.

Almost all Unix-like commands that operate on a file need to have
themon the command line, usually at the end (after you've used special
options).

In this case, you also need to specify the file that contains the
password, as in:

john --wordlist=password.lst  mypasswordfile.txt

While (hopefully) also mentioned elsewhere in the docs, having to do
this is an assumption for many command-line tools.

> Is this too a stupid question or does anyone have any actual suggestions?

It's not a stupid question at all -- just one that many of us geeks
take for granted.  If you have more interest in the command line than
just solving this specific password problem (and I recommend it --
it's very empowering!), Lasser's "Think Unix" book is a great place to
start.

Royce