Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:46:03 -0600
From: Richard Miles <richard.k.miles@...glemail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Is ASIC supported?

Hi guys,

As you know, I was looking at GPUs to increase my password cracking tasks,
by accident I found some products designed to BitCoin miners that basically
compute SHA256 (similar to our attacks to crack password) and I got
surprised that they have some specific hardware that appear much much more
powerful in relation with what we use (GPUs) today.

Se a few examples:

https://products.butterflylabs.com/homepage-new-products/300-gh-bitcoin-mining-card.html

http://www.blackarrowsoftware.com/store/prospero-x-1.html

First is a bit expensive, but second is able to process 100Gh/s of SHA256
password hashes, it's INSANE! :)

I was looking and there are hardware around 5k that are able to crack up to
1TB/s. I can't believe how powerful it's. :)

So my questions is, is ASIC supported with JtR? If not, are any plans for
it?

I was thinking that JtR was used by miners, but it's not, they have their
all programs.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards.