Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 21:33:20 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john format name for mysql 5.x hashes: mysql-sha1

On 2013-10-16 20:57, yungai wrote:
>>> (...)
>>> suggestion for the devs:
>>> maybe it would make sense to change the describtion from
>>> MySQL 4.1 double-SHA-1
>>> MySQL >=4.1 double-SHA-1
>>> ?
>>
>> Good idea, I'll fix it. We have an OSX format for 10.7 and later that
>> announces itself as "Mac OS X 10.7+" so maybe this one should say "MySQL
>> 4.1+". To be really correct we should say 4.1.1+ according to the
>> document JJ Gray helpfully linked (thanks!) but I think 4.1+ will do.
>>
>> Also, the old mysql format just says "MySQL". It should probably say
>> "MySQL pre-4.1".
>
> Great, thank you for your commit!
>
> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/commit/33a88ffc3c49d09442c1e8d8e018bc795f60cfd3

Note that if you're using latest Git, the bleeding-jumbo branch is
currently more "appropriate" than the unstable-jumbo. Normally that's
not supposed to be the case but the unstable branch is very outdated
right now (it will become 1.7.9-Jumbo-8 while bleeding is the upcoming
1.8.0-Jumbo-1). And bleeding has a *lot* more formats and features.

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/tree/bleeding-jumbo

I could make bleeding the "default" branch but I reckon that would only
confuse people a lot.

magnum