Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 16:57:39 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Help a newbie to crack a password

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Victor <vbis@...reton.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> So I've compiled the most recent version of John.
>
> I started to follow instructions given by Rich (I think so...)
>
> I get this:
>
> MacBook-Pro-de-Victor-le-Breton:run victor$ ./john 7z2john.py
> /Users/victor/Desktop/KJSF.rar
> Warning: detected hash type "haval-128-4", but the string is also

You shouldn't need the "./john" part... just
python 7z2john.py /Users/victor/Desktop/KJSF.rar

(or if python is installed, just "7z2john.py /Users/victor/Desktop/KJSF.7z"

(don't use 7z2john if it's a RAR file... use rar2john :)

I am not sure how I made the assumption that the file was 7z, it actually
appears to be RAR. If it's a rar file use rar2john, or if it's a zip use
zip2john, if it's 7zip (or p7zip etc) use 7z2john. RAR is going to be
sloooooooooooooow unless you can think of the pass or close to it :)
-rich