Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:19:14 +0400
From: Victor le Breton <vbis@...reton.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Help a newbie to crack a password

Hey everyone.
First of all, I'm a newbie in this computer stuff.

I have been reading many forums on how to crack passwords using JTR, but
i never found answers that suited my situation.

So I would like to know how to crack the password from a .7z file. After
reading a lot of forums, I understood that JTR is inteded for account
password cracking. So i do not know if what i'm asking is possible.

I wanted to try with incremental method but i got the error message "no
password hashes loaded". As I said I'm a newbie and I had no idea what
that was. After some research i got it. I went to FAQ of JTR, doing the
unshadow command. But i get "unshadow unknown command". I'm using JTR 1.8.0

So i have been wondering if archive file have hashes ( ... still don't
understand this very well). On the7zip website
<http://www.7-zip.org/7z.html>you can read this:
Hey everyone.
First of all, I'm a newbie in this computer stuff.

I have been reading many forums on how to crack passwords using JTR, but
i never found answers that suited my situation.

So I would like to know how to crack the password from a .7z file. After
reading a lot of forums, I understood that JTR is inteded for account
password cracking. So i do not know if what i'm asking is possible.

I wanted to try with incremental method but i got the error message "no
password hashes loaded". As I said I'm a newbie and I had no idea what
that was. After some research i got it. I went to FAQ of JTR, doing the
unshadow command. But i get "unshadow unknown command". I'm using JTR 1.8.0

So i have been wondering if archive file have hashes ( ... still don't
understand this very well). On the7zip website
<http://www.7-zip.org/7z.html>you can read this:

7-Zip also supports encryption with AES-256 algorithm. This algorithm
uses cipher key with length of 256 bits. To create that key 7-Zip uses
derivation function based on SHA-256 hash algorithm

So i guess 7z have hashes.

But i have no idea how to get them. If you could help me, I will be very
gratefull.
Since there is no 7zip on OSX, the program used to create the file and
password isKeka <http://www.kekaosx.com/>. It is based on p7zip. I don't
know if it uses the same SHA-256 hash, I couldn't find that info.

So as I said, I tryed incremental method and got stuck with hashes.
But I have a few hints about the password. I know :

  * all the possible letters
  * 1st and last letter
  * length

So i could use rules to do so, but i think I still need hashes.

So once again, if anyone could help me, I will be very thankfull.