Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 13:12:36 -0600
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: does JTR fall under export control laws in the US?

On 11 July 2013 20:04, <chris4000@...il.com> wrote:

> Sorry if this is outlined somewhere that I did not find.
>
> Does anyone know if I include John the Ripper in an open source project
> (as a benchmark in this case), if that will that have implications for US
> encryption export laws?  Does anyone have experience with this?  Thx

I know that for US corporations that they have to go through an export
review to the State Department.. mainly from the openssl library you might
link to. How it affects individuals or projects I have no idea and would
suspect any email advise would be as good as tossing a coin.

How it affects you really requires a lawyer to walk you through what it
could be. I would contact someone like  the Software Freedom Conservancy to
better get an idea of where to get that advise.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.