Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 22:58:54 +0400
From: SmarTeam Support <smarteam.support@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: elijah's write-up for Hash Runner 2013

Just a summary after quickly parsing the logs, not everything
included, very egocentric :) You can get the whole picture and read
about teamwork when the official team write-up will be published :)

Having only moderate PC without any decent GPU at my disposal and no
options for devoting extra time/computing power the only thing I could
do for a team is finding patterns and suggesting something to try. I
wish to thank all the team members who were kind enough to try my ideas
on theirs hardware :) I used mine mostly for quick checks with
rules/dictionaries.

The time is MSD (contest organiser's time zone) (and delta from the start)

09h Official contest start
10h (+01) hashes became available for contestants
16h (+07) only now I was able to join the fun :)
17h (+08) confirmed an idea for #1 with space getting lots of astronauts, constellations and stars
19h (+10) confirmed and idea for #3 (default passwords list) with leaving only 13 unfound
20h (+11) got an idea for pix#6 (different languages password/secret)
22h (+13) addition for pix#6 ("god,love,sex" as in movie :) (and yes, the movie guess was right :)
23h (+14) made a googledoc page that gave the output for several languages using googletranslate + wiktionary
24h (+15) hint pictures were updates (1/3 visible)
24h (+15) got and idea about #2 - chemistry, #9 - composers
02h (+17) alexa's top 1kk sites for mysql-sha1
03h (+18) mscash progress (+1700), sleep :)
12h (+27) good morning to me, all pictures opened :)
12h (+27) suggested morris worm algo and dictionary, 100% found, yay! :)
13h (+28) we hit 50%, no extra tasks, yay! :)
17h (+32) new mscash pattern, afk
22h (+37) back, we are still on the second place
06h (+45) got an idea about reuse of STRanGE casing words from md4 to bcrypt
05h (+45) "Names of Deity", webster automation for translations
08:50 final upload, 90%, 5 minutes of happiness, screen-shots for history :)
08:52 91% !!! :)