Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:55:01 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Figuring out ambiguous hash types

I've encountered some hashes that have me scratching my head. There appear
to be 16 characters for the salt, a $ and then 40 characters for what I'm
assuming is the hash. I don't have any other context like how they are
created or what format, but I am being told it's not from a popular package
like Joomla or Wordpress etc... something home grown but obviously flawed :)

1D78BA6444EDF32E$2D17F44D2B63CFF961374165AE29DCFBED4FB1E0
The hash is actually in lowercase, but I know JtR needs some to be in upper
so I have both, and I've tried various combinations in my hash file.Anyone
have any ideas or techniques they use in these situations? I'm not sure how
to use dynamic in a meaningful way perhaps there is more in that format I
can try?
-rich