Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 04:07:10 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Resume for KDEPaste external mode

On 14 Jun, 2013, at 3:15 , Michael Samuel <mik@...net.net> wrote:
> I think all variables should probably be saved - they're global for a
> reason, right?

Perhaps not that reason. Some of my Unicode modes initialize charset tables that does not need to be saved. The dumb32 mode has int[0x20000]... that would be half a megabyte per .rec file!

> That being said, there is a chance that the state could be recovered from
> word in this case...

Calculating endTime from a word? That would be awesome but it seems impossible to me.

On another note, I implemented an experimental patch that adds an external variable "time_now" that is initialized to time(NULL) when starting a job, so the endTime could default to "now" without editing john.conf. Not sure if I should commit it - I can't see much other use for it. It shouldn't harm anything though.

magnum

Download attachment "0001-Add-time_now-external-variable-that-maps-to-time-NUL.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (1787 bytes)