Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 18:31:24 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Jumbo 7 for JTR 1.8

On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 04:17:46PM +0200, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
>  Can we expect jumbo 7 for JTR 1.8  ?

As the original announcement said:

"Although only JtR 1.8.0 source code and .chr files are available at this
time (to be used mostly on Unix-like systems, where building from source
is customary and convenient), we do intend to release Windows build(s)
of JtR 1.8.x, a jumbo based on 1.8.x, and a Pro based on 1.8.x at a
later time.  Meanwhile, magnum is regularly sync'ing the bleeding-jumbo
branch on GitHub to be based on the latest core tree (which means 1.8.0
at the moment)."

So, yes, we'll make a jumbo release based on 1.8 eventually, and
meanwhile you may use the bleeding-jumbo branch if you like - or you may
stay with 1.7.9-jumbo-7 indeed.

To provide a direct and useless answer to your question, there's no
reason for us to call the new version "jumbo 7", unless and until we
make some use of the lower 6 numbers first. ;-)

Alexander