Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 21:45:56 +0200
From: Jan Starke <jan.starke@...ofbed.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fuzzing with regular expressions

> This contradicts the Unicode section on http://code.google.com/p/rexgen/so you might want to revise that. Or better, make the code work like the
> docs says :-)

This is a really cool challenge, as flex only supports single byte
character sets (if not only ASCII). Their are some really weird approaches
throughout the web. Maybe I will take a look at it. Until, I changed the
spec to match the code ;-)

> OK, I see it now. This also contradicts the web docs: the default is UTF-8
> and not UTF-32. And in this case the actual behavior is better - defaulting
> to UTF-32 would be very odd!

I updated the docs; thank you for the advice. The original approach of
using UTF-32 internally by default was driven by performance issues.
Handling UTF-32 is simpler than handling UTF-8. The current approach is
faster with UTF-8, which seems to be the better way...

Regards, Jan