Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 14:22:50 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking "Correct Horse Battery Staple" in JtR

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Brad Tilley <brad@....us> wrote:

> On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 01:57:25PM -0400, Matt Weir wrote:
> > I was wondering if there was a built in way to crack "random word"
> > passwords in JtR. For example Diceware generated passwords, or
> > http://xkcd.com/936/
> >
> > In the past I've used a custom script combined with JtR's -stdin option
> > combine words from a dictionary but it would be nice if there was a
> > ruleset, (I'm not sure if the Memory access rules could accomplish this),
> > or an external mode that could do this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Matt
>
> Hey Matt,
>
> Like you, I have used -stdin (or -pipe), to try and crack pass phrases

We'd all like to have something like that, combine 2-4 words of length's
2-5 characters long, and on top of that mangle them with rules :) I'm
resorting to song lyrics, artists, actors, movies and other data like it.
Scraping song lyrics, breaking each line up at various points, such as
around spaces. It'd be awesome to have a word mangler + rules.
-rich