Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 22:25:17 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Pipe/Stdin rule to append/prefix

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 07:16:28PM +0100, magnum wrote:
> > On 27 Mar, 2013, at 16:39 , Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com> wrote:
> > > I'd love to have rules that can use incremental as prefixing/suffixing
> > > (within reasonable limits)
> >
> > This would actually be trivial to add support for, as far as I know. But
> there may be dragons. I've had the idea to enable it just for testing for
> side-effects (eg. in terms of performance when not used).
> >
> > I have a feeling there is a reason it's not supported in core... Solar?
>
> As to incremental mode, trying to fit it
> in wordlist rules feels weird.  I'd rather have it usable along with
> rules via the stacking feature, and if it needs to be invoked for a
> subset of the rules only, then the batch mode specification could
> specify the combinations of rulesets and incremental modes to run.

I've been able to do it outside (using word machine aword/pword)and then
into stdin for john with good success. It'd be harder perhaps if I weren't
doing it on digits only, I'd have to pick a good place to stop creating
candidates for alnum. I'm just at a point in this hash list that I need
digits out to the 5th-6th character, but "dumbforce" would take much longer
on my current wordlist. I know I could split the work up further, but I
just wanted to see the yields, and I like seeing the long digits working so
quickly!
It's certainly led to a new pattern :)
38630thomas
62156thomas
68200thomas
80320thomas
84300thomas
020277victor
102030victor
135790victor
3115victor
350211victor
66250victor
7502victor
56300vincent
8188vincent
97442william
electro230697
etienne197795
kristi31355
target455971
Thanks again, I'll be first in line to test anything new along these lines.
-rich