Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:22:06 -0400
From: Brad Tilley <rtilley@...edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Pipe/Stdin rule to append/prefix

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:39:06AM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> As an experiment, I'm curious... perhaps this is a feature request at the
> same time.
> I've tried using -pipe to append -i=digits to the second instance of john
> words from a wordlist. I'd like pipe to support appending/prefixing stdin,
> but I suppose first that pipe and wordlist would not be mutually
> exclusive/duplicate's...
>
> john -i=5digits -stdout | john -pipe -w=wordlist.txt  -rules=prefix
> hashes.txt
>
> 121988password
> 12100password
> 220123password
> 2password
> 121100password
> 121101password
> 121987password
> 222password
> 22285password
> etc..
>
> Perhaps it's not even the best use of john, if it can be done in a oneliner
> or a few lines of something else I'm all for it.
> I'd love to have rules that can use incremental as prefixing/suffixing
> (within reasonable limits)
>
> [List.Rules:prefix]
> A0 {inc=digits,5}
> A0 {inc=alnum,4} excuse the bad pseudo code examples, but assume that
> digits and alnum refer to the standard digits/alnum.chr files.
>
> Those are some of my ideas, again they might be better implemented
> elsewhere, and then piped into JtR I'm not sure.
> -rich

Rich,

I'm sure there are other approaches, but I use word machine to pipe candidate passwords to john. It takes stdin... so to prepend 5 numbers to a list of words (like in your example), I'd do this:

wm --print --words words.txt | wm --prepend 5 --words stdin --charset=N | john -pipe hashes.txt

You can use multiple pipes to insert, append, prepend, toggle case, etc.

Brad