Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 16:18:19 +0000
From: Nicolas Brulez <nicolas.Brulez@...persky.com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: RAR Cracking with JtR Jumbo (Files found during
 forensics)

Yes, everything is encrypted.

RAR SFX are just a template for unraring the files.
At the end of the PE file, outside of the image (in overlay), you have the full RAR archive.
Basically, all you need to do, is to look for the magic "52 61 72 21" ("Rar!") and extract it from here till EOF.
You can either use pattern, or you just parse the PE header, get the last section physical address, add its physical size, and you
will get an offset to the actual archive from where you can extract.

You get a RAR archive, that opens in Winrar, you get the password prompt, and rar2john worked nicely on them.

This method was tested on a RAR SFX created in the same condition. with a password.
The extracted rar works and the password as well.

Let me know if you need further information.

Nico

--
Best regards,

Nicolas Brulez | Malware Expert - Global Research and Analysis Team | Kaspersky Lab