Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 23:45:29 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Support for PBKDF2 (SHA512)

On 9 Feb, 2013, at 21:17 , magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 Feb, 2013, at 15:54 , magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> Committed now. Native "Dave Grohl tool" and GRUB formats are supported as well as our own format. Also, we support any salt length and binary lengths over 64 (because I get 128 from my OSX).

Actually there is a max salt length of 128 and max binary size of 256 (decoded binary lengths) but it can easily be changed with a few #define's and the code will adopt.

> We do not calculate/verify lengths over 64 though - it's not needed. If someone can show a 512 hash collision, well, that would be interesting =)

I could not resist implementing a proper cmp_all() just to verify that the 1024 bit OSX hashes were indeed longer PBKDF2 output. They are. This is pretty silly considering that you don't have to calculate more than the first 512-bit block for knowing you have cracked the right password. We do it now anyway just for good measure, and because we can do it without slowing things down. With a totally naïve approach, those hashes would take twice as long to calculate.

magnum