Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 09:36:32 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SSHA-512 supported?

On 02/09/2013 01:57 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> Frank did have that guess, but it sounded a bit too weird to me.

If it turns out to be true, you can write an advisory after we figured
out the algorithm.

> Anyway, still no luck with rounds=64.

Before I gave up yesterday, I even changed ROUNDS_DEFAULT to 64 and
ROUNDS_MIN to 1, with no luck.
It could also be an off-by-one error, number of rounds being 2^6 + 1.

They could even treat 1000 SHA-512 iteration as one iteration, so that
we have 64000 iterations.

My next bet would be on the password being UTF-16 encoded (big endian).
Unfortunately, I don't have time to test this right now.

Frank