Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 19:56:19 -0500
From: Jon Schipp <jonschipp@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SSHA-512 supported?

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 07:35:22PM -0500, Jon Schipp wrote:
>> In case this helps, from pwdalg.cfg
>>

>> "cost_num=cost
>> *
>> *       The default hashing iterations is 2^cost. The valid value of cost is
>> *       an integer between 4 and 31, inclusive. The default cost value is 6."
>
> Isn't this written in context of bcrypt hashes (which they call sblowfish)?
> If so, we knew that, but it's irrelevant.

Lines further down in the config describe the blowfish count:
"The default hashing iterations is 2^cost. The valid value of cost is
an integer between 4 and 31, inclusive. The default cost value is 8."

A default of 8 instead of 6 previously mentioned. Again, I don't know
if that is helpful or not.

> Do you suspect they were dumb enough to apply the same low iteration
> counts for sha512crypt, where each iteration is a lot cheaper?  Well,
> maybe.  Got to test the 1 to 999 range.

I'm curious and not a programmer, what do you mean by "where each
iteration is a lot cheaper"? How are they cheaper?

Thanks
Jon