Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 03:30:07 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: generating passwords candidates longer than 8 characters using incremental attack

Rich,

First of all, thank you for helping answer new users' questions in here.
I appreciate this!

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 08:56:35AM -0500, Rich Rumble wrote:
> As far as I know, compiling John on windows requires Cygwin.

Yes, that's the primary way to compile John on Windows (and the only one
supported "officially").

> There is
> a MinGW make target, but it doesn't work for me the last time I tried
> it on the Jumbo build.

IIRC, the compile error messages you posted to john-dev at the time
indicated that you simply did not have OpenSSL development libraries
installed in your MinGW tree, and you did not correct that and try
again.  Thus, that test compile says nothing about whether MinGW make
target worked in JtR -jumbo at the time or not. ;-)

> On windows I make:
> make clean win32-cygwin-x86-sse2i
>
> within the cygwin shell naturally.

Correct.