Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 05:42:23 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Password Cracking a DMG...

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 05:24:30PM -0800, Jeremiah Grossman wrote:
> Since none of the downloads listed here included dmg2john...
> http://www.openwall.com/john/

Confirmed that dmg support was added after jumbo-7, so it's not yet
included in any jumbo release we've made.

> @jmgosney recommended I use this, "jumbo-3 [magnum]", which did
> include dmg2john.c.
> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper

Good.  [ This is not jumbo-3, though.  It's just that the README file
specifically happened to be last modified at jumbo-3 time. ]

> Once compiled with "macosx-x86-64" I applied your patch with "patch -N -i
> dmg2john-1.diff"
>
> >$ make dmg2john
>
> gcc -Wall dmg2john.c -lm -o ../run/dmg2john
>   "_main", referenced from:
>       start in crt1.10.6.o
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [dmg2john] Error 1
>
> Not exactly sure if I did something wrong, or a bug in the patch.

Did the patch apply cleanly?

Were you able to compile dmg2john before applying this patch, on this
very same system?

This is puzzling.  The above looks more like an issue with your Xcode
setup than anything else, but if you are able to build dmg2john without
the patch on this same system then it's something else...

Alexander