Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 05:21:07 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: can't get jtr to ID this

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 06:58:06PM -0500, tanoury wrote:
> Here's the hccap (greasedjtr.hccap) converted to john format:
> http://home.comcast.net/~A_Tanoury/greasedjtr.hccap
>
> Here's the password:
> http://home.comcast.net/~A_Tanoury/password.txt

63 chars?  Is this a stress-test for the tools?  Thank you for it!
Dhiru - please get these sample files onto our wiki. :-)

> I'm using john-1.7.9-jumbo-7-Linux-x86-64 and it has worked fine. Here's
> my command line that has worked fine with other WPA passwords:
> ./john --wordlist=password.txt -fo=wpapsk greasedjtr.hccap

It works for your password here, with all of: wpapsk, wpapsk-opencl, and
wpapsk-cuda.  I tested with bleeding-jumbo.  Maybe there was some issue
we've fixed since 1.7.9-jumbo-7.

... I've just tested unstable-jumbo as well.  wpapsk and wpapsk-cuda
resulted in:

Loaded 1 password hash (WPA-PSK PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-1 [32/64])
*** buffer overflow detected ***: ./john terminated
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x37)[0x7f9e023a1007]
[...]

(similar in both cases).  However, wpapsk-opencl cracked the password
just fine.

Maybe there's some bug we happened to fix between unstable-jumbo and
bleeding-jumbo, or maybe it's just somehow hidden in the latter.  Either
way, we need to fix it in unstable-jumbo as well, because that's likely
what we'll base the next -jumbo release on.  (bleeding-jumbo is about
preparations for an even later release.)

magnum - can you take a look, please?

tanoury - you could want to subscribe to the john-users mailing list
rather than post via Gmane.  All postings via Gmane are delayed for
manual approval.

Thanks again,

Alexander