Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:09:34 +0000
From: Jeremiah Grossman <jeremiah@...tehatsec.com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Password Cracking a DMG...

On Jan 28, 2013, at 7:42 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 08:54:59AM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
>> If you are using JtR-jumbo git version, then I have made a recent
>> change to how dmg2john is built.
>>
>> It is no longer possible / necessary to build dmg2john separately.
>> Building JtR-jumbo itself builds dmg2john by default.
>>
>> I should have announced this earlier yesterday.
>
> Oh, indeed.  I did not realize the git tree has changed since we started
> the discussion yesterday.
>
> Jeremiah - so just don't use the "make dmg2john" command anymore.
> Simply use the dmg2john symlink that is created by normal JtR build
> (from the newer git tree).

You guys had me feeling like I was crazy. ;)

Repeated the process from a clean slate this morning...

>$ git clone https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper

>$ cp dmg2john-1.diff JohnTheRipper/src/

from src/

>$ patch -N -i dmg2john-1.diff
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file dmg2john.c

>$ make macosx-x86-64

from run/

>$ dmg2john aes_256.dmg
Segmentation fault: 11

Same issue as yesterday. "aes_256.dmg" is a newly created 15GB DMG encrypted with AES-256 (OS X 10.8.2). No data contained within.

Ideas?

Regards,

Jeremiah-