Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:54:59 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Password Cracking a DMG...

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Jeremiah Grossman
<jeremiah.grossman@...il.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 05:24:30PM -0800, Jeremiah Grossman wrote:
>> > Since none of the downloads listed here included dmg2john...
>> > http://www.openwall.com/john/
>>
>> Confirmed that dmg support was added after jumbo-7, so it's not yet
>> included in any jumbo release we've made.
>>
>> > @jmgosney recommended I use this, "jumbo-3 [magnum]", which did
>> > include dmg2john.c.
>> > https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper
>>
>> Good.  [ This is not jumbo-3, though.  It's just that the README file
>> specifically happened to be last modified at jumbo-3 time. ]
>>
>> > Once compiled with "macosx-x86-64" I applied your patch with "patch -N -i
>> > dmg2john-1.diff"

>> > gcc -Wall dmg2john.c -lm -o ../run/dmg2john
>> > Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
>> >   "_main", referenced from:
>> >       start in crt1.10.6.o
>> > ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
>> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> > make: *** [dmg2john] Error 1
>> >
>> > Not exactly sure if I did something wrong, or a bug in the patch.
>>
>> Did the patch apply cleanly?
>>
>> Were you able to compile dmg2john before applying this patch, on this
>> very same system?
>>
>> This is puzzling.  The above looks more like an issue with your Xcode
>> setup than anything else, but if you are able to build dmg2john without
>> the patch on this same system then it's something else...
>>
>> Alexander
>>

> Frustrating. A fresh build of JtR, same system, same distribution. When
> performing a "make dmg2john"...
>
> gcc -Wall dmg2john.c -lm -o ../run/dmg2john
>   "_main", referenced from:
>       start in crt1.10.6.o
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [dmg2john] Error 1
>
> I did not get this error earlier. I know because I was actually running the
> dmg2john binar. I've no idea why this is occurring now. So yes, something
> is probably up with my system. Trying to isolate the problem.

If you are using JtR-jumbo git version, then I have made a recent
change to how dmg2john is built.

It is no longer possible / necessary to build dmg2john separately.
Building JtR-jumbo itself builds dmg2john by default.

I should have announced this earlier yesterday.

--
Dhiru