Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:11:39 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: UniqPass versus JtR default password list and weird behavior

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM, Matt Gardenghi <mtgarden@...il.com> wrote:
> So, I ran >john --format==nt ntlm.txt
This command line will run SIngle mode, then Wordlist mode (using
password.lst by default), and then incremental mode (bruteforce using
trigraphs to guess more likely passses) Pressing any key during the
process will show you what mode is cracking currently...
1 single, 2 wordlist, and 3 incremental. Single comes and goes very
quickly for LM/NTLM might be hard to even see that one, it will  use
the GECOS (in pwdump format it's the "comment" field I think) field
and usernames themselves to crack passwords:
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/hash-formats
<username>:<uid>:<LM-hash>:<NTLM-hash>:<comment>:<homedir>: (This is a
PWDump Format)
> That immediately popped three passwords and then an 2 minutes later hit a
> fourth.
This is because of Incremental mode probably... it takes longer to
guess, but still does it faster than aab, aac, aad, aae etc...
> I deleted the .pot file. I acquired the uniqpass list and tried to
> substitute that list. Its a 1.2GB dictionary list. John pulled two
> passwords and then ended saying it was done in one minute.
>
> c:\Users\Matt\Desktop\john179j5\run>john --wordlist=uniq.txt --format=nt
> ntlm.txt
> Loaded 8 password hashes with no different salts (NT MD4 [128/128 SSE2 +
> 32/32])
This is specifying wordlist mode, once it's mangled the wordlist
specified using the default wordlist rules, it terminates as expected.
> Use the "--show" option to display all of the cracked passwords reliably
You should of seen all four on screen, but perhaps there are exceptions.
> I would have assumed that john would have started performing brute force
> attacks before terminating. This makes me think something went wrong.
>
> I have repeated this process and verified the behaviors.  Any tips on what
> is going wrong?
Again the first command line only specified the format of password,
and the second command line specified the format and to only use a
wordlist. http://www.openwall.com/john/doc/MODES.shtml
-rich