Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 23:24:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking md5 salted password

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 09:17:03PM +0530, qweeak wrote:
> Thanks Alexander for the information. I tried wordlist ( rockyou.txt.bz2
> ) and to my surprise alot of passwords got cracked. But i still can't
> crack this particular one. Sure i have root access and can reset
> pasword, but that defeat the purpose.

Why does it defeat the purpose?  It very much depends on what your goal
is.  Is this just for you to practice with password cracking?

> Is there any other way to get it
> cracked like external filter ( i have no clue what it means ) or
> something . I was trying different things for past few weeks but none
> seems working

Perhaps there are more things for you to try, but as you realize it is
not guaranteed that you'd get each and every password cracked.  In fact,
it is typical to get only a certain percentage cracked, which will vary
by hash type, number of different salts, password policy that was in
use, attacks you run, and your computer's speed.

Alexander