Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 08:49:59 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Multiple formats accepting the same raw hashes

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Frank Dittrich
<frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> Yes, indeed. I am happy that Brad shared his insight. I certainly didn't
> see the obvious solution for this dilemma.
I agree with the principal, stop what John is doing and ask the user
to specify a format, but it doesn't now so do we want to change the
default behavior. Or John says "continue with ambiguious format_x?
Y|N". Defaulting to the first (alphabetical?) format that John detects
is still "ok" with me, but I'd rather see it pause or bail to get a
format specified.
> To help the "lazy" users who want to be able to shoot themselves into
> their feet, we could add a config variable, say:
> RequireFormatForAmbiguousInput = Y
I think we could have both a config switch and or a prompt to continue.

I guess I misunderstood the two questions initially, in particular question 2.
>How important is it for you that the default hash format when starting a
>new password crack session on the same input file remains the same even
>across different john versions?
A new session should be subject to the logic that exists in that
version of John. If John chooses formats that it encounters in
alphabetical order of detection, then I think it should continue that.
Even if that means a file that was detected as LM in version 1.7.9 and
now detects as ABC-40 in 1.8.0. That seems to justify
prompting/bailing/asking for a specified format going forward.
-rich