Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:32:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Anthony Tanoury <tanoury@...oo.com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject:  I need RULES help please

________________________________

Greetings wizards-

I humbly bow before your knowledge in quest of jtr enlightenment....

I am running john-pro-1.7.3 on Ubuntu 12.04LTS. I am new to both jtr and Ubuntu (Linux) so please be kind. I've read everrthing on jtr I could find. Maybe I've missed something?

I'm not able to use any rules mode except --rules without getting this error: [Extra parameter for option: "--rules=xxxxxx"]

For example:

john --wordlist=all.lst --rules --stdout
This works just fine!

john --wordlist=all.lst --rules=Wordlist --stdout
Extra parameter for option: "--rules=Wordlist"

john -w=all.lst -ru=CustomWordlist -stdout
Extra parameter for option: "-ru=CustomWordlist"

john -w=all.lst -rules:CustomWordlist --stdout
Extra parameter for option: "-rules:CustomWordlist"

All of the incremental modes and character (.chr) sets seem to work just fine. I've tried everything and just can't seem to get the rules working. The john.conf file is just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom oh great ones....

john -w=all.lst -rules:CustomWordlist --stdout