Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 01:49:12 +0200
From: Milen Rangelov <gat3way@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPU based cracking, AMD or NVIDIA

I have a Kepler card myself (GT640) that I bought just to experiment. I
also have a sm21 one (GT430). I can tell for sure the MD5 and SHA1 numbers
in the table are pretty close to what I really get. Yet, the table is
misleading. With slow algos that have a lot of GPR utilization/shared
memory utilization, Kepler behaves just bad. Notable example is
sha512-crypt which (in my bad implementation) uses a lot of shared memory
and registers. Currently GT430 is about as fast as GT640 while the latter
has 4x more SPs (though clocked at 900MHz as compared to GT430 which runs
at 1400MHz).