Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 01:01:31 +0200
From: Milen Rangelov <gat3way@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPU based cracking, AMD or NVIDIA

I would say that Kepler-based GPUs are faster than their Fermi counterparts
(more on "fast" algos and less on "slow" ones).

There is a reason for that. Generally speaking, the SM/clock speeds are
better for 6xx. However, Nvidia crippled the architecture in a way. They
just packed 4x more SPs in a CU, but the register file is just 2x larger.
This in turn means that on 6xx, running algos that require more GPRs will
suffer from occupancy problems much more as compared to 5xxx.

To simplify that: if you are to run "fast" algos like md5 or sha1, 6xx is
much better (both in MH/s per GPU and MH/watt per GPU). For slower algos it
might even turn out that 5xx is faster on some occasions.

You can have a look at my estimations table (based on hardware specs and
algorithm specifics, not real benchmarks):

http://www.gat3way.eu/est