Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 14:32:17 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: What do you recommend as a laptop cracking station? :)

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Richard Miles
<richard.k.miles@...glemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm considering buying a new laptop and I want to do a decision based on
> specs to crack passwords, in other words, I need a real animal to crack
> passwords, I now that laptops are not as powerful as desktops, but I hope
> to find something really good.
You can rent EC2 (amazon aws) cloud services, tons of horsepower for
the cost of a LT. It's 2-3$ per hour for a decent machine, you can
even use it for free with certain limitations.
http://aws.amazon.com/free/
There are even GPU's available
http://stacksmashing.net/2010/11/15/cracking-in-the-cloud-amazons-new-ec2-gpu-instances/
I'd suggest getting the LT that makes you happiest overall, and
consider CPU/GPU as a whole. Laptops don't have the power nor cooling
currently to make them your GOTO hardware for password auditing, in a
pinch they work just fine. Just my opinion.
-rich