Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:37:34 -0600
From: Richard Miles <richard.k.miles@...glemail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: What do you recommend as a laptop cracking station? :)

Hi

I'm considering buying a new laptop and I want to do a decision based on
specs to crack passwords, in other words, I need a real animal to crack
passwords, I now that laptops are not as powerful as desktops, but I hope
to find something really good.

I looked at AllienWare and Macbook PRO and I got a bit frustrated. I don't
know if it exist, but I was looking for a laptop with at least 8 cores and
at least one AMD 7970GPU. Do you have any recommendation? Or suggestion of
better configuration for a laptop being used as a password cracking
station? :)

Also, I don't have experience with the GPU cracking, but I often see people
telling that a few password hash formats are supported. Is it really worth
to buy a strong GPU card? Or is it better get more and more powerful
processors?

Most of the passwords that I have to crack are NTLM, NetNTLMv1, NetNTLMv2,
mscache, halfLM, mysql, mysql network authentication, mssql, msql05, oracle
hashes (local store and network) and a few passwords stored at shadow file
(linux most of the time).

I remember that I was reading some recent slides from Solar Designer where
he talked about a new technology (Intel?) that incorporate a LOT of CPUs
and looks as a strong competitor for GPU and do not require that amount of
change on the code as GPU does. I could wait for this new technology is
there is a date to be release and price available, but I would not like to
wait like 1 year to get a new laptop to play with passwords.

You advised and recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks and sorry if it's a bit off-topic.