Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:25:14 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: LM with empty strings = password longer than 15
 chars?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 01:11:11PM +0100, john wittgeinstein wrote:
> Its Windows 7. John easily soldved the Guest & use hashes, which are empty (no passwd). I assumed - because I read somewhere on the mailing list that if the LM hash is empty than the NT is more than 15 chars. I dont know...What do you think according to your experience? Would it make any difference for John to load the hash without the LM in the Administrator:Hash form separately?

Windows 7 does not support LM hashes. So passwords of any length would
have LM hashes empty.

(Empty LM hashes are a sign of password length greater than 14 only on
Windows XP (and only if LM hashes are enabled, I guess the most system
are so)).

So you need to load NT hashes. I guess the easiest to do that is to
add '--format=nt' option to your invocation of John.

--
Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov