Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:44:42 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: NT vs NT2 explained (was: LM with empty strings =
 password longer than 15 chars?)

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM, john wittgeinstein <pandemonium@....us> wrote:
> You mentioned MD4, what is very interesting. When I secede the hash, and leave only Administrator:NT-hash, put it through ( $ john hash ) it recognizes it as raw MD5?
>  Why? When i put it in the form Admin:500:LM:NT::: it recognizes it as NT...
Jtr makes a guess at the hash type, PWdump format helps john assume
the LM format, but both LM and NT look like MD5 when not in the pwdump
format. http://openwall.info/wiki/john/hash-formats
<username>:<uid>:<LM-hash>:<NTLM-hash>:<comment>:<homedir>:
Pwdump format is not typical, come to think of it, having a case
insentive hash next to a case sensitive one of the same password is
not typical.
-rich