Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 08:06:04 -0500
From: "andrew" <kdkdkdkdkdk489@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Trying to understand output of john -status

I think you have pointed me in the right direction and help me straighten
out my confusion as far, being a novice at this I got confused in a few
areas but I think ?? I have straitened it out, I hope.

Thanks for your knowledge. Having read your reply I think I have confused a
few things, so I'm going to re word this email by saying how I got to where
I am. This may show the flaws in what I  have done.

Of coarse I started this a few months ago so I'm going from notes I made and
memory.

First let me say that the computer I'm running has linux on it but is an
older computer. So your comments on possibly the slowness of the process is
most likely partially due to the fact that this is an older computer.

Of coarse I would love to speed up the process on this computer but IM not
sure is possible???
It's a Pentium 4 1.90 GHz EVO Compaq.
The video info is Intel 82845G /GL/GE/PE/GV controller.
Its got about 1 Gig of ram. Running linux.

My goal is to get the passwords.

I tried to follow the documentation regarding JTR as follows...

# cp  /etc/passwd  and  /etc/shadow /somewhere

# chmod 077 each file

Put the files into /john folder
Use the following command
# ./unshadow ./passwd ./shadow >mypassword

# john mypassword

Everything seemed to work fine, in that the john.pot file contains two
passwords that I already know. e.g. administrator passwords (since I'm
administrator I already know those) These were produced fairly quickly.

I cannot remember if over the past months I restarted the program with the
command
# john -restore
If I did I think I used that simple command. BUT I know the most recent time
I certainly did because I can still see it in the terminal window with the
command in it.   I had to do this because we had a little thing called
Hurricane Sandy and the power went off many times.

Now you have mentioned the following...
I said ....
>> john --show john
>> 4 password hashes cracked, 0 left

You responded ...
>That's a weird command - or rather, it's a weird filename you chose to
>use here.  First you called the session "john" - that's already pretty
>confusing since that's also the name of the John program.  Now you're
>asking John to print cracked passwords for some file named "john".
>What's in that file?  I suggest that you avoid confusing/conflicting
>names like that.

I didn't name the session john, but I think I got confused between the
status command and the show command and the session name and the password
file. I just thought at the time that since the john.pot was called john
that john --show john was the right command.

I believe this is where I made a mistake in my report to the NG. After
reading your comments I realized that the right command is "john --show
mypassword", which gives me I think the output that is more expected. eg.

root:xxxxxxx@:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
admin:xxxxxxx@:101:101:e-smith
administrator:/home/e-smith:/sbin/e-smith/console

2 password hashes cracked, 16 left

Now, having made corrections to my show command option, and displaying my
output of my commands, above properly do you believe that everything is
running right?

I have a question as to how john actually works.  Here is a copy of some of
the last tries.

guesses: 0  time: 51:06:37:19 0.00% (3)  c/s: 4466  trying: shs1geO -
shs1god
guesses: 0  time: 51:06:37:23 0.00% (3)  c/s: 4466  trying: shs1a1n -
shs1a1$
guesses: 0  time: 51:06:41:37 0.00% (3)  c/s: 4466  trying: shsbL1p -
shsbLDS
guesses: 0  time: 52:04:08:42 0.00% (3)  c/s: 4464  trying: 4peluc31 -
4pelucca
guesses: 0  time: 52:04:08:47 0.00% (3)  c/s: 4464  trying: 4pelgo78 -
4pelgo75
guesses: 0  time: 57:08:12:25 0.00% (3)  c/s: 4475  trying: Bbjipuy -
Bbjipua
guesses: 0  time: 61:03:26:23 0.00% (3)  c/s: 4473  trying: m9kek! - m9kekp
guesses: 0  time: 61:03:45:42 0.00% (3)  c/s: 4473  trying: ajy241 - ajy24w
guesses: 0  time: 61:04:20:53 0.00% (3)  c/s: 4473  trying: bprt0r - bprt05

Is it normal that it goes back and forth between, 6 characters and 7. I
would have thought that it would try 6 characters then move to 7 and then to
8.

Or is it that in this default mode e.g. # john mypassword  its just running
through all the likely combinations based on the developers experiences and
the john.conf file.

Finally you said the following ...

>>P.S. Please consider posting to john-users via e-mail rather than via
>>Gmane.

I'm not sure how to do this other than mailing lists?? But I find them
harder to manage, you have to subscribe and unsubscribe. You must get all
the commands right to do so, rather than just opening a news reader and its
there. Unless your talking about something else that I'M not getting? Why is
it that you do you not like gmane or the newsgroup method?

Thanks for feedback or comments.