Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 19:44:40 +0200
From: Simon Marechal <simon@...quise.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Can't get simple john.conf rules right

On 10/10/2012 06:01 PM, Rich Rumble wrote:
> There is no substitution going on in the toggle lines, I think your
> expecting "Q" to transfer/memorize to the next set of rules? And I
> don't believe that is how it works.

I believe it was the 'M' that was thought to have this effect. A rule is
made from a set of commands that fit on a single line. As far as I know
there is no way to transfer to the next line.

so0QMsa4Q would be better written:

/o /a so0 sa4

Which is perhaps clearer. In order to transform slyfox into SlyF0x, you
need:

/o T0 Q so0

Which will reject words without "o"s, toggle the first letter and
replace all 'o' by '0'. It will also reject words that do not start with
a letter (because the first character will not be toggled).