Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 16:56:52 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Password hashing at scale (for Internet companies with millions of users) - YaC 2012 slides

On 5 Oct, 2012, at 14:19 , Richard Miles <richard.k.miles@...glemail.com> wrote:

> I was not aware this Intel Xeon Phi, based on your slides I guess it will
> be much more efficient for password cracking in comparison with the current
> AMD GPU, however I doubt it will have a low cost such as a AMD GPU, right?
> Consequently it will not be affordable for most individuals and it will
> decrease the number of implementations supporting it (example john the
> ripper, hashcat, etc). So, I guess it may not be very useful for most of
> us, more or less the same that happens with PICO computing.

Maybe Phi won't be that expensive (beware your mail program might break the link in two):
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/9/26/exclusive-intel-xeon-phi-preferred-pricing-revealed---only-24400-per-card.aspx

Also, I assume we'll be able to use it with OpenCL. As soon as there's drivers for it, we already have an implementation supporting it! Then again, we do not have code really optimised for it.

magnum