Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 09:16:31 -0500
From: Richard Miles <richard.k.miles@...glemail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Two questions (or feature suggestion) about JTR usage.

Hi

I have two questions about general usage of JTR and I will be very thankful
if you could give me proper solutions.

a) I have a script (shell script) calling JTR, consequently I can't get
progress updates pressing "enter" - the "enter" is sent to shell script and
not to JTR. What can be done? There is a way or can you consider to add a
option to automatic display progress on the screen between X minutes
(defined by user)? For examples:

john --wordlist=dict.txt --rules --format=netntlm --progress=5

This could automatically display the progress on the screen every 5
minutes. There is a chance? Or a workaround?

b) I would like to execute my incremental tests always during 8 hours,
nothing more and nothing less. There is a workaround to do it? As described
above, should be nice to have a option to define for how long JTR will be
running, example:

john --incremental --format=netntlm --autokill=8

This will automatically finish JTR in a clean way on the specified time.
This also may be helpful for statistics. Is it possible? Or there is a
effective workaround?

Thanks.

Best regards.