Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 11:10:50 +0800
From: Jonathan Xiao <bravowarrior5203@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Help for JTR

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response.

I did not try using john.exe without any options. I think the results will
be the same as john.exe --crack-status --incremental hashes.txt because in
this command, there is also no forcing of john to treat as LM hashes.

"no passwords found in here" means that john did not get any results after
completing the job. John says that 4 different hashes have been loaded in
but after it completes, guesses = 0. If I don't specified format=LM then
there will be an output from john that john recognise Lm but then it can be
nt and john recognise nt but it can be LM.

The hash input to john is as follows:
adm:1003:f5ed24301452410f0f802f643692aaef:3c4ac740fc1ecbee5da191a14f0cdc29:::
"f5ed..." is the LM hash and "3c4ac..." is the nt hash, i think.

I was reading some posts online that john can't decode if the password is
more than 8 characters long. Is this true?

I have tried the following tools:-

1)ophcrack(with free rainbow table)
2)cain & abel

Looking forward to your help.