Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 21:13:41 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Passphrase Creation

On 11 Sep, 2012, at 20:12 , Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com> wrote:

> Also having the most effective rules somehow being tracked if someone
> chose to share, and I was told that unless  --mkpc=N is used (during
> building), the rule(s) reported last (before the pass is cracked)
> isn't necessarily the rule that was used. I think some slow down is
> incurred to be "rule accurate" in the .log.

Just for the record, --mkpc is not a build option but a (Jumbo) run-time option. Use --mkpc=1 and set LogCrackedPasswords = Y in john.conf. Now you can correlate any crack with the exact rule that created the candidate. But for SSE2 formats, it can make for a 10x slowdown, and it ruins OMP similarly. Actually, it likely runs much faster with an -any build (non-SSE2) than an optimized one, or using --format=dummy against hashes created from your favorite dataset.

Ever since I wrote that option, I've been planning to make dummy hashes from the RockYou list, and benchmark rules against it. But I haven't got a Round Tuit[tm] yet.

magnum