Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:30:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Brad Tilley" <brad@...ystems.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Questions about compiling for Optimal CPU
     Performance

> Brad, why are you building with OpenMP on your Celeron?  Does it have
more than one logical CPU?  If not, then the assembly code for DES is
indeed faster than the thread-safe alternative that an OpenMP build
would use.  Even with two logical CPUs (but one core), the assembly code
is likely faster (using only one of the logical CPUs).  The performance
hit of going from assembly to compiler-generated SSE2 code on 32-bit x86
is just too great.

> Alexander

Hi Alexander,

I don't use OpenMP on the Celeron. I should have made that clearer, to me
it was just a similar compile question, so I posed them both together.
Perhaps I should have asked two separate questions instead. I'll be more
clear next time.

Brad