Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:15:23 +0200
From: Patrick Mylund Nielsen <cryptography@...rickmylund.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Arstechnica Password article (feat. Matt Weir)

That article, IMO, wrongly implies that SRP is somehow inferior to key
derivation functions, when in fact they serve two different purposes:
protection against network eaves-dropping vs. resistance to offline attacks
on the verifiers/digests. There is no reason why Blizzard can't use a KDF
client-side with a proof like SRP for even better security.