Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:53:50 -0700
From: Francois Pesce <fpesce@...lys.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Arstechnica Password article (feat. Matt Weir)

Hi,

I've got several critics:
_ The way they're presenting the wordlist+rules under a pretty name like
that "hybrid attack". It looks like a new thing, which it's definitely not.
Rules+dictionary! Come on! Even the Morris Worm had a bruteforce dictionary
attack which used to lowercase/capitalized words from user account details.
No silver bullet here.

_ It emphasized the Rockyou dictionary, which is interesting, but not
enough on the pass phrases cracking. CDDB/Wikipedia titles/Facebook
names/gutenberg project/LinkedIn names (You can download their whole base
w/ a simple wget script) are now strong sources of pass phrase cracking,
and I mean, actual pass phrases of more than 2 words. What about Markov?
These new techniques deserve attention as well, because they lead to the
conclusion that any non-random password can possibly be cracked.

_ From a vulgarization point of view,  the password length graphic which is
reproduced at the end of the article is very dubious because it lets the
users think that they'll be secured by choosing any password very long,
which they are not able to humanly generate without it to be easily
cracked: music title, book phrase, repetition of words, logical
enumeration, etc.

Still, I find that most of the article is good.

My 2 cents,

Francois