Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:31:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: jfoug@....net
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking Gauss using dynamic

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> I thought that maybe the implementation of phpass in the dynamic
> format was generic enough - but it is not.  Its loop is hardcoded in
> DynamicFunc__PHPassCrypt().  So it seems like the current dynamic
> format
> is incapable of arbitrary loops.  This may be something for JimF to
> enhance - not for this specific target, but in general.

There is no looping, or variables, or much of any other 'fancy' things
in dynamic.  Mostly, it is an array of very simple function pointers,
such as:  clear-this-buffer, append-this-string, crypt-this-buffer,
convert-this-to-base-16-and-append-to-buffer, etc, etc.  Those are not
the real function names, but that is pretty much 'what' they do, and how
much smarts they have.

So if you wanted to (with current dynamic), do 10k crypt of the crypt,
you would simply have to build a format with whatever initialization
code was needed to get things 'started', and then 10k of these (well,
9999 of the 2nd part):

DynamicFunc__crypt_md5_in1_to_out2
DynamicFunc__clean_input2
DynamicFunc__append_from_last_output2_as_raw
DynamicFunc__crypt2_md5()
DynamicFunc__clean_input2_kwik
DynamicFunc__append_from_last_output2_as_raw
DynamicFunc__crypt2_md5()
DynamicFunc__clean_input2_kwik
DynamicFunc__append_from_last_output2_as_raw

// 9996 more of the:
DynamicFunc__clean_input2_kwik
DynamicFunc__overwrite_from_last_output2_as_base16_no_size_fix
DynamicFunc__crypt2_md5()

// then a final
DynamicFunc__clean_input2_kwik
DynamicFunc__overwrite_from_last_output2_as_base16_no_size_fix
DynamicFunc__crypt_md5_in2_to_out1

so that the crypt result is in the 'proper' location for comparision.

Its ugly code, but that is the current limitations of dynamic format.