Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:45:50 -0500
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@...dmark.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: 1Password blog post about Dhiru's new/forthcoming 1Password module

Hi,

I work for AgileBits, the makers of 1Password, a password management system. As those following jumbo and magnum-jumbo will know, over the past month or so patches have been released or are in development for working with password managements. Last week, Dhiru released something for 1Password.

I just published a blog post for 1Password users about the new/forthcoming developments in JtR, once again exhorting them to use strong master passwords. It is here

   http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/07/31/1password-is-ready-for-john-the-ripper/

If you see any egregious errors, please let me know.

And congratulations. I'm pleased that it was the JtR community that got here first. I have a lot of respect for Elcomsoft, and I really thought that they would be the first to publicly release a tool for 1Password cracking/recovery. But I'm glad it was you folk.

Of course, I have no idea of if there have been private tools to do the same job. There was a bit of Mac malware that, among other things, sent 1Password data files back to the malware authors; so it's likely that they had some plans for that data.

On a related note, has anyone developed a rule set for going after diceware generated passwords?

Cheers,

-j

–-
Jeffrey Goldberg