Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:07:29 +0200
From: Simon Marechal <simon@...quise.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Congratulations Team John-Users

On 29/07/2012 17:53, Brad Tilley wrote:
> Way to go team John-Users! I thought you guys had it this year. You
> certainly deserve it as JtR is by far the best truly free password cracker
> available today. I used John as my crack engine. Here's my small write-up:
>
> http://16s.us/16crack/defcon_2012/

Thanks for the link. Why not join john-users next time ?

I disagree with this :
Provide bonus points to teams that use software they wrote themselves or
hardware they built themselves from scratch. Anyone can download and
execute other people's software and/or buy lots of high-priced video
cards. Neither of those require much thought or creativity and neither
of those are a cool hack suitable for Defcon.

I believe sunmd5 was exactly this bonus: if you can't write your own
tools you will not crack any of them. I don't know why team Hashcat
didn't try to crack them however, they certainly can build tools ...
They probably (rightly) felt they would win by focusing on the already
implemented hashes.