Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 13:03:41 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: contest: JtR CUDA and OpenCL liveusb

On 07/16/2012 08:23 AM, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> Does anyone need USB image with preconfigured Linux for running john
> during the Crack Me If You Can contest?
> Build will be targeted for GPU usage, because it is time consuming to
> configure it on many PC's.
> It is also for those people who have access to PC's and can't / don't
> want to install stuff on it.

Currently I just have one laptop (Fedora 16 64bit), not sure whether the
nVidia GF108 [Quadro 1000M] is useful for a GPU build at all.
Please let me know if you need lspci -v or lspci -vvv output to decide
whether this is worth the trouble.
CPU is Intel Core i7-2820QM 2.30 GHz (quad core with hyperthreading, so
/proc/cpuinfo is showing 8 processors with with 4 different core ids).

I use the nouveau driver, and I don't intend to change that for this
installation.
Recently I installed Fedora 17 on an USB stick, but so far I didn't get
to try installing the binary driver and CUDA/OpenCL support.

Last time I looked the wiki page wasn't very detailed.

If I had a 64bit Linux image (Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution)
which can be dd'ed onto an USB stick, I might use that one during the
contest.

Frank