Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:19:39 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: our own training pseudo contest before CMIYC 2012

2012/7/11 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 01:33:06PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> Could we prepare a linux image with a pre-built john for GPU for 64bit
>> ubuntu, which can be copied onto a 16GB USB stick (or even 8 GB, if
>> that's considered big enough)?
4GB may be enough.

> We could, but I doubt that it's a timely thing to do.  A person who
> can't set this up on their own will surely also use the GPU so
> non-optimally that it's probably no better than a CPU.  Our current GPU
> support is, with few exceptions, only for people who know what they're
> doing pretty well and have tried it out before the contest.  For
> example, all of our "fast" hash implementations on GPU are terribly
> inefficient because of the non-resolved CPU/GPU communication
> bottleneck (they're present in the tree as a development milestone only).
> Yet a person who uses a precreated USB image would likely miss this
> detail and go ahead cracking e.g. raw MD5 on GPU, which wouldn't be a
> useful contribution in the contest.
Ok but: this kind of iso could help a lot for those who have knowledge
how to do this, but do not want to spend 2-3 hours per PC for
configuring it.
Maybe it won't take much time (day or two) to prepare something that
works in most cases.

> It would make more sense to provide a system image for a "slave" system
> (not necessarily GPU-enabled) that would be controlled (ideally through
> a protocol restricting what can be done) by one of our more experienced
> team members, using a "master" tool that would make controlling of
> multiple systems practical.  But we're unlikely to do it this year.
In my opinion this is or will be soon key for winning the contest.

Lukas