Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:19:47 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: our own training pseudo contest before CMIYC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Frank Dittrich
<frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't other preparations for the real contest more important?
In addition to all the points Frank made, coordination as further
evidenced from PHDays is one of the key point's we are lacking. I
think things improved year to year so far, but we need an even bigger
effort there I think. Additional scripts or features probably need to
be put forth soon for either the practice or the cmiyc contest. I'm
not saying we need a single person "barking" orders and delegating
tasks, however that is one form of coordination. We do need something
to keep track of who is doing what and perhaps the progress of that
task/item.
Also we use a "contest" version of john, it typically supports more
than the 8 character default incremental mode with new chr files
(naturally). We may also want to "inventory" the "horsepower" that's
available so that someone with a really fast GPU may take on a harder
challenge than another person without a GPU. I think we can have a
better showing if we use our resources a bit better. I personally have
6-10 machines I can use, so I can run a large "node/fork" task, if
others have that many or more, perhaps they are a better choice for
fork and node... I know in other contests we all kind of volunteered
to do things via email, but email is a terrible coordination
mechanism. I'm not sure Jabber/IRC or IM in general is better, I am
thinking of making a stats/status page perhaps that can keep track of
who has what. I don't know yet I'll have to think on it more.
I do like trying to do a pre-contest "dry run", it would be good
practice and should help iron out some of the coordination efforts.
-rich